Until what you say? Why this weekend’s 10 meter contest – that’s what!
Will you represent HCRA in this contest, score 100K points and win a $10 DD gift card for your efforts? Or will you do something boring like go shopping? The choice is in your hands but only YOU can make the choice.
There’s been a lot of chatter about the contest to date and I don’t want to repeat what’s already been posted. Not sure what I’m talking about, then click here and here to learn more. Besides getting on the air, operating and having fun there’s a few important things to remember. In order of importance they could be:
1. Your shack must be able to be QRV (on the air) on 10 meters? (don’t worry, if you don’t have an HF setup we’ve got you covered – just keep reading)
2. Have a Novice (remember those), Technician class license or above. (that’s everyone!)
3. Be familiar with the ‘rules of the game’. They can be found here.
4. Send in your log (read the rules) and don’t forget to put “Hampden County Radio Association” in the club field of your entry. (you must also be a member of HCRA).
5. Contact either Matt/W1MSW or myself if you have any questions – we’re here to help.
That’s all there is to it. The contest starts at 7:00 PM Friday evening (0000Z December 8th) and ends at 7:00 PM Sunday evening (0000Z December 10th). A possible 48 hours of fun but because it is 10 meters you’ll have time to sleep in between – it is unusual for the band to be open past midnight.
But wait, I don’t have an HF station, or I’m not sure how to operate, or….
That’s OK. There’s at least one shack open to our members for guest operation this weekend. Come on over to the KK1W station and we will get you on the air. Phone or CW, we can do both. A decent radio, good antenna, KW amplifier and comfortable shack will make it fun. We’ll be operating under our club call, WB1Z and will be QRV for the entire contest. Ed/KB1NWH and Frandy/N1FJ have signed on but we need more. More ops, more company, more BS – it all means more fun!
Please call or email me ahead of time so I can be prepared for the rush. I guarantee you’ll have a good time and hopefully learn something about contest and/or HF operation at the same time. See you this weekend!